Friday 6 May 2016

SE2 - Abbey Wood

Hello people,

Today I'm in Abbey Wood SE2, but you'd never have guessed it to look around the place. That's because there's no trees, no semi-detached houses, or multi-storey buildings, there isn't even a Co-op! There's only water as far as the eye can see, and of course there's me, gently bobbing along the top of it. Before you ask, the banks of the Thames haven't burst, and I didn't accidentally get off the wrong bus stop and wander into the Charlton lido. The reason Abbey Wood is submerged under water is that I've used my magical adjustable spanner to travel back in time, to approximately 54.5 million years ago to a time known as the late Palaeocene, early Eocene period when the earth was very warm, and much more of it was covered by the sea. Eventually the plankton - which will have thrived in these warm wet conditions - will absorb most of the world’s carbon dioxide. This will cool the earth and propel it into an ice age, but as that's not for another 51.9 million years, I haven't bothered bringing a coat with me.


In fact I've brought very little on this particular adventure, just a pen and paper, my magic spanner (of course), a pair of speedos (no need to be bashful when it's just you and the plankton), an inflatable lilo to float on, a jug filled with mojito (which is going down nicely), a glass and a bendy straw. I chose to visit the late Palaeocene, early Eocene period because it seemed like a really good place to soak up the sun, and just chill. It's not perfect of course, there's nowhere to top up your mojito jug, and the wifi signal is terrible, but it really is a nice little getaway.


The ruins of Lesnes Abbey in Abbey Wood - as it is today

A friendly monk I met outside the abbey one day - quiet fellow, but nice

Beneath me the tropical sea is teeming with life, there are turtles, clams, angel sharks (which sound friendly) and sand sharks (which I assume eat sand). In about 54.49 million years - when the worst of the ice age will have passed - the ice will clear and the land that used to be at the bottom of this sea will start to resemble the Abbey Wood we know today. If you don't believe me then go see for yourself by heading to Lesnes Abbey Wood and visiting the area signposted 'The Fossil Bed.' There you'll find a specially designated area where members of the public can dig for the fossils of the sea creatures that once ruled Abbey Wood. People have found all sorts of things from crocodile bones to sharks teeth. Head down yourself and see what you can find! Just remember the site rules...

  1. You’re not allowed to remove more than 2 kgs of material from the site, so please leave your JCB at home.
  2. Please do not dig more than 2 feet, which seems obvious but I have to mention as my blog is very popular with miners for some reason.
  3. Please refill any large or deep holes, otherwise the site will keep getting deeper and deeper till it’s just a giant well.
  4. For large group booking please contact Parks and Open Spaces at least one week prior to your visit, or in other words – no raves.
Unfortunately the site is currently under construction while they improve the footpath to the fossil bed, however I assure you it will be worth the wait (don't forget I can travel into the future). While we're waiting we can still enjoy the ruins of the ancient abbey, the wild-life, and the blue bell Lesnes Abbey Wood has to offer. I'll let you know as soon as the new improved fossil pit opens!

The blue bells of Lesnes Abbey
Well I’d better go now, an angel shark has smelt my mojito and is now trying to bite a hole in the lilo to get a sip – maybe they’re not so friendly after all. Still at least there’s only one of them. Oh wait there’s another, and another, and another…

I think I’m going to need a bigger inflatable lilo…


No comments:

Post a Comment