Thursday 4 September 2014

SE20 Crystal Palace Park

Hello People

Today my journey across the 28 Districts of South East London takes me to Crystal Palace Park. Not much of a hidden gem I’ll admit, but the sun was shining and my head was throbbing from drinking too many London Prides the night before, so I thought I could probably use the fresh air.



The Crystal Palace Park was built by Sir Joseph Paxton's Crystal Palace Company between 1852 and 1855. The park was built for the relocated and expanded Crystal Palace, a huge iron and glass structure that had housed the 1851 Great Exhibition in Hyde Park.

Sir Joseph Paxton must have been doing cartwheels when the Tender to move the Crystal Palace came up, seeing as he already owned a firm called the Crystal Palace Company.  I bet the guy that owns Crystal windows wishes he’d been a bit quicker off the mark getting his company name registered. Sir Joe took the decision to build his park in an area called Crystal Palace; again it must have seemed like fate.

The Crystal Palace is long gone now, it burned down in 1936, but for me Crystal Palace Park represents everything good about London, it’s steeped in history, and looks like it’s been designed by a 7 year old whose had too many fizzy drinks. There’s dinosaurs, sphinx’s, a Gorilla called Guy, (all statues of course), a maze, a swing park, a lake, scenic walks, bike rides, an athletics track, and a giant statue of Sir Joseph himself who watches over it all like the wizard of Oz, and that’s just scratching the surface.



I spent my first 20 minutes in the Park, strolling by the lake, enjoying the sunshine, and eventually I came to the entrance of the maze. The Crystal Palace Park Maze is famous in its own right, as it is said to be the spot where one of our nation’s greatest institutions was founded, the Girl Guides. The story goes that In 1909 during a Boy Scout rally held in the park, a group of girls approached Robert Baden Powell, the founder of the Scouts, and requested that he set up ‘something for the girls’, I was a cub scout in my younger days and loved it, so I can completely understand why they’d have wanted to get involved. I guess the logical thing would probably have been for Sir Robert to just let the girls join in the game of rounders the boy scouts were playing at the time, but you don’t become a great Briton by taking easy decisions, and Sir Robert came 13th in a BBC poll for Britain’s Greatest Britain in 2002, so Sir Rob created the girl guides instead. The Crystal Palace Park Maze was completely redesigned and renovated a few years ago to mark the launch of Girlguiding’s Centenary celebrations, so they clearly still agree with his decision and that’s good enough for me.



I remembered hearing years ago that the way to get through a maze is to always keep the wall to your left, armed with this knowledge I boldly stepped in. Walking through the maze I quickly passed a woman in a raincoat walking the opposite way, shortly after her I passed a man and his young son, shortly after them, I passed a trendy looking couple with a small dog. I passed the same people 5 minutes later, and three more times after that in the half hour I spent wondering around the maze. By now I was desperate to be free so I could go to the toilet and have a Tuna and Mayonnaise sandwich, so I stood still for a while and tried to think of a plan, after a moment or two I heard some voices from the other side of the wall, it was the man and his young son.

Son “I’m tired Daddy”
Father “Just keep the wall to our left and we will be out in no time”
Son “You said that ages ago Daddy, I want to go live with mummy”

Their voices faded away, but soon afterwards I heard what I believe were the trendy couple and their dog.

Trendy Man “We just need to keep the wall to our left and we’ll be fine”
Trendy Woman “You keep saying that Lucas but which wall do you mean? There are two of them?”
Trendy Man “Look don’t get sarcastic with me Verity, you were the one who wanted to go through this bloody maze.”
Dog “Grrr”
Trendy Woman “Well you never want to do anything, how can I know what you want if you don’t tell me?”
Trendy man “Well I wanted to spend the weekend at my parents”
Trendy woman “Oh fine, throw that in my face again”
Trendy man “Well you asked”
Trendy woman “Worst day of your life was the day they cut that umbilical cord, wasn’t it Lucas?”
Dog “Grrr”

As their voices faded I sank into despair, fortunately I had my training to fall back on from my days as Cub Scout in Rotherhithe. Using some flat stones as shovels, I dug a tunnel which took me as far as the periphery wall, once there I was able to make a rope out of some leaves, twigs, some of my hair, a few crow feathers and an old rope someone had left lying around. I tied a loop in one end, lassoed a nearby branch, pulled myself to freedom and headed straight to the Crystal Palace Park café for a nice cup of tea and a Tuna Mayonnaise sandwich, but I must admit to feeling guilty about not trying to go back to help anyone else in the maze, I desperately hope that the woman in the raincoat, and the man and his son got out ok, although I suspect that the trendy couple are either dead, or have eaten the dog.

Once I finished my sandwich I was able to start my exploring again, being a 31 year old man on his own I decided not to visit the child’s swing park, it might have looked a bit weird, and I doubt that any of the children in the park would have been strong enough to push me on the swings. Besides as you get older you develop an air of sophistication which stops you from enjoying childish things like swing parks, so instead I ran straight over to see the dinosaurs!

The dinosaurs were designed and sculpted by Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins under the scientific direction of Sir Richard Owen, representing the latest scientific knowledge at the time. I recommend you download Darwin and the dinosaurs (http://www.audiotrails.co.uk/dinosaurs/) a free online audio guide to your phone to find out about the history of how Hawkins and Owen set about creating the world’s first dinosaur theme park in an age when most of the people who went to see it, would have believed literally in the bible and the story of creation. To those people those models must have been sensational.




I could go on and on about how great this place is, but I’m starting to get hungry again, so if you’ll excuse me, I’m off for another cup of tea and a slice of berry pie.



References

Dulwichonview.org.uk
Urban75.org
http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/about_us/crystal_palace_park_maze.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment