Thursday 11 September 2014

SE16 Dr Salters Memorial

Hello People

Today I’m outside the Angel in Rotherhithe, the Angel is one of my favourite pubs, they serve a nice stout, it has a long history dating back to the 19th century, and is a great stopping point for a pub crawl along the Thames. However I won’t be learning about the Angel today; I only popped in there for a pint.



Next to the Angel are the ruins of a Manor House built for King Henry III in 1350, its unclear what the house was used for, but one popular theory, is that it was a great location for King Henry III to practise Falconry. Falconry is much less popular around South East London now then it was in King Henry III's day, I guess people got fed up with falcons swooping down on them as they sat in traffic on Jamaica Road, and lifting small children off their bikes as they cycle around Southwark Park.

But I’m not here to learn about that Henry III house, don’t get me wrong I love falconry as much as the next man, but the ruin is a little bit boring, it’s just a wall with some grass growing over it.

Unlike Henry III I never had a pet Falcon, but I did have lots of pet goldfish when I was a child, which my Uncle Ned won for me at the Southwark Park Fun Fair, in a game where you throw darts at playing cards scattered along the floor. If you successfully hit one of the cards, you won a goldfish; it was the Darts World Championship of its day.  Ned was great at darts, and I was so grateful to him for winning me my first pet, I named the Gold-fish Cathy, after his girlfriend. Ned married Cathy the girlfriend, sadly Cathy the gold-fish didn’t last as long, she died a few days later. Ned went back to the fair and won me many a Cathy the goldfish that summer,  and I looked after the Cathy’s well, I fed them, cleaned their tank, but sadly they never survived long in that little goldfish bowl in our flat in Bermondsey. I of course will never know why they all died, but I suspect it was suicide, I guess they just missed the bright lights of the fair.

Southwark park is well worth a visit, opened in 1869 and covering 25 hectares, it has an art gallery, a sports centre, a lake, football pitches, a bowling green and some beautiful gardens, not least the Ada Salter rose garden, built in 1936 by her husband Alfred Salter and attributed to her after she died. It also boasts London's first public memorial to honour a working class man; a drinking fountain to commemorate Mr Jabez West, a member of a local Temperance Society.

Ada Salter's Rose Garden

Drinking fountain to commemorate Mr Jabez West

But I’m not here to talk to you about the Southwark Park Fun Fair either, although we are getting close with talk of the Salters and public memorials.

No I’m here to find a statue of an old man sitting on a park bench. I remember it from when I was a child. I’ve always wondered why it was there, and who the old man was. People don’t tend to get statues for sitting on benches and waving, statues are for soldiers, politicians and old Arsenal football players. People who did great things and committed brave acts, the bravest thing you can do on bench is feed some ducks.

After 31 years now I finally know why someone made a statue of an old man sitting on a bench, and it’s one of the most inspiring and heart-breaking stories I've ever heard. The statue commemorates a man called Dr Alfred Salter, he and his family lived and worked in the area during the first half of the 1900's, when the Rotherhithe was a very different, and much more dangerous place.

Dr Salter's Statue

To say that Dr Alfred Salter deserves to have a statue is something of an understatement, to list just a few of his achievements:
He gave his poorest patients free healthcare, something they weren't entitled to in the back then.
He helped pioneer the NHS (which went on to do rather well).
He was MP for Bermondsey West from 1922 to 1945 (and he never got done for fiddling his expenses).

And if Dr Alfred was impressive, his wife Ada sounds like she was formidable:
She set up social clubs for working class girls in the slums of London.
She set up a beatification committee to improve Bermondsey promoting the planting of trees and flowers and the creation of playgrounds.
Her environmental work helped create the London Green Belt.
She became the first female Mayor in London (she swore Alfred in as MP)
She became president of the women’s National League, which helped progress the rights of workingwomen.
She was basically a cross between Ghandi and Kristy Allsopp

All this must make poor old King Henry III feel very inadequate, but if it's any consolation to him, I couldn't find any evidence of either Alfred or Ada knowing the first thing about Falconry.

In 1902 Ada and Alfred had a little girl, Joyce, and despite them being well off enough to go elsewhere, they thought it right she be educated in Bermondsey with the people they were trying to save. But disease was rife in the area, she developed a very malignant form of scarlet fever, and she died age 8.

Dr Salter and Joyce

The statue of the old man sitting on a bench I remember from my youth was made by Diane Galvin and is called Dr Salter’s daydream. It shows an elderly Dr Salter waving at his daughter Joyce, in Diane's words 'it represents a daydream of an old man remembering happier times when his sunshine was still alive.' Better writers than me have written about Alfred and Ada Salter, and I recommend you give them a read. I've attached a few links below.


Alfred and Joyce Statues

I like Alfred and Ada, and not just because they were good people, great even, but because they sound like they were real characters, people not afraid to stand up for what they believed in. I would have loved to have met them, but sadly, I didn’t even get to see Alfred and Joyce's statues because in 2011 they were stolen, most likely melted down, and all of the efforts of the Salter’s who gave so much to improve Rotherhithe and Bermondsey are commemorated by nothing but a small notice board, a cut up bench and an open can of Strongbow left on its side.


But this is not the end of the story, the Salter spirit lives on, a campaign to reinstate the statues has been running since the theft, and last month, they reached their target of £50,000! And this time there will be a statue of Ada too, so the three of them will be reunited in Rotherhithe again. When it’s completed Ada's statue will be the only public statue of a female politician in London, which sounds like a crazy thing to say in 2014.

Now if you'll excuse me, all this talk of the Salter’s and Cathy the goldfishes have left me feeling emotional, so I’m off to the Angel for a pint of stout. 




No comments:

Post a Comment